Monday, April 16, 2012

Manila Mini-Photowalk: Carriedo Fountain

My wife and I waited for the bus that would take us to Vito Cruz. As we waited, we saw the Carriedo Fountain just in front of us so I took out my cam and took some shots. Sadly, the Fountain has been damaged by acid rain and badly in need of restoration.

Here are some of the shots I took:

Carriedo Fountain by {israelv}
Carriedo Fountain, a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
Here's a close-up of the female sculptures in the upper part of the Carriedo Fountain:

Carriedo Fountain by {israelv}
Carriedo Fountain, a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
Finally, I zoomed in on the figures of children under the lower part of the Carriedo Fountain. You could still clearly make out the embossed names of Carriedo and Manila (1878-1884) near the base.

Carriedo Fountain by {israelv}
Carriedo Fountain, a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
Since I no longer had time to change to my kit lens, I was unable to take a complete shot of the Carriedo Fountain. So I again dug into my archives and found this picture from our photowalk two years ago. It looked much better in 2010 than its current condition. Hopefully they would restore it to its former glory.

Carriedo Fountain by {israelv}
Carriedo Fountain, a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
I'm much curious about the Carriedo Fountain and after googling for it I was able to found this much, much older picture in its original location at Sampaloc, Manila (Credit goes to the original poster). It's amazing that it looks exactly the same now as it did back then. For more info regarding its history you can check out this link: http://curatormuseo.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/return-carriedo-fountain-to-sampaloc

Carriedo Fountain, July 18, 1882

Our bus finally arrived after a few more minutes. We said goodbye to the Fountain, hopped in the bus and appreciatively savored the cool A/C after being subjected to the extreme heat outside. And that concludes our impromptu, Manila Mini-Photowalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...