Monday, April 16, 2012

Manila Mini-Photowalk: Old Monte de Piedad Bldg.

My wife and I finally found the store of the eBay seller at Ongpin. I paid for my Lego Toy Story figure and prepared to walk back to Carriedo until my wife decided to first buy some authentic fried siopao. Because we were already there and it was already a long time since we last had one, we bought several. As we walked back to Carriedo, I saw the old Monte de Piedad Bldg. again with its old creepy-looking sculptures. Sadly, it had fallen badly to neglect. I could just imagine this building during its heyday.

Here are some shots of the sculptures. This first one is an eagle on its perch. Check out the detail. Sadly, they don't make buildings like these anymore in Manila.

Old Monte de Piedad Bldg. by {israelv}
Old Monte de Piedad Bldg., a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
I'm not sure who this next guy is. Might be a wealthy Spanish government official. To me, it somewhat resembled Shakespeare. Might be due to the ruffled collar.

Old Monte de Piedad Bldg. by {israelv}
Old Monte de Piedad Bldg., a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
Here's another stern-looking fellow. I'm guessing that this one could be a Spanish banker due to his headdress which is somewhat similar to the ones worn by the Medicis of Florence. But again, just a wild guess. The inscriptions to identify these persons might be long gone.

Old Monte de Piedad Bldg. by {israelv}
Old Monte de Piedad Bldg., a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
Lastly, here's another eagle. It looked similar from the eagle in the first picture. In fact, there are several similar looking eagle sculptures around the top of the building.

Old Monte de Piedad Bldg. by {israelv}
Old Monte de Piedad Bldg., a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
Unfortunately I was unable to take a shot of the complete building since I had my 200 mm lens on and I have no time to change back to my kit lens. But fortunately, upon searching my archives, I discovered that I already had a nice shot of the exterior of the building from my very first photowalk way, way back in 2010. 

Here's the shot:

Old Monte de Piedad Bldg. by {israelv}
Old Monte de Piedad Bldg., a photo by {israelv} on Flickr.
Actually, when my wife saw this, she so graciously reminded me that it was she who took this picture. So thanks Hun! :)

In the next post: More sculptures but this time on a fountain in Carriedo. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...